250g plain flour
½ tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
30g butter, melted and cooled
300ml whole milk
a few drops of black food colouring
sunflower oil, for frying
black writing icing
1. Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix to combine.
2. Beat in the eggs, melted butter and milk until smooth then transfer to a jug so it is easy to pour.
3. Heat a large non-stick pan over a low heat. Lightly brush with sunflower oil and pour a round shape of mixture for the head approx 11cm round. Cook for 30 seconds – the top of the pancake will bubble slightly then turn it over and cook for a further 15-20 seconds. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Pour out the mixture into an oblong for the bandana, cook for approx 30 seconds, then flip over and cook for 15 seconds. Then pour out 2 small rounds for the ears. Cook for 15-30 seconds, turn and cook for a further 15 seconds. Spoon a little of the mixture into a separate bowl and add a little black food colouring. Drizzle a straight line for the eye patch string and small circle for the eye patch. Then lastly a heavily curved line for a moustache.
5. Set aside with the other cooked pancake pieces. Repeat this process three more times to make more pirate face pancakes.
6. Place the round face on a large plate, tuck the two rounds ears under the face slightly. Place the black eye patch string across the face and trim the black eye patch to a semi circle. Trim the moustache and place on the face. Trim the bandana leaving little ties at one side, then spread with strawberry jam. Decorate with yellow sweets.
7. Halve a green grape horizontally and use as an eye. Use an upturned strawberry for a nose and a sliced red grape for a mouth. Use black writing icing to draw a pupil on the eyes and big hoop earrings on the ears.
Tip: Make sure your pancake batter isn’t to thick and cook them very gently over a low steady heat because you want them cooked but not coloured so you can decorated them as faces.
See more Pancake Day recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
Read more at https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/pirate-pancake-face.html#kBCTtWAsy2cYjGG2.99